SÚRAO was established on 1 June 1997 by the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic as a state organisation. On 1 January 2001 SÚRAO’s status was changed to that of a government administrative body in accordance with § 51 of Act no. 219/2000 Coll. SÚRAO is headed by its Managing Director who is directly appointed and dismissed by the Minister of Industry and Trade. SÚRAO’s activities are regulated by the Atomic Act.
- the preparation, construction, commissioning, operation and closure of radioactive waste repositories,
- the monitoring of the impact of radioactive waste repositories on the environment,
- the institutional control of radioactive waste repositories,
- the management of radioactive waste,
- the treatment of spent nuclear fuel into a form suitable for storage or subsequent use after it has been declared as radioactive waste,
- the administration of fees for the disposal of radioactive waste and the inspection of the decommissioning reserves of licensees, including the conditions of the management of escrow accounts and the approval of the use of funding from such reserves,
- the provision of services in the field of radioactive waste management,
- the handling of radioactive waste transported to the Czech Republic from abroad which cannot be returned,
- the ensuring of the safe handling of nuclear materials or other sources of ionising radiation which are discovered or acquired,
- the ensuring of the safe performance of activities concerning the management of those nuclear materials or other sources of ionising radiation which belong to the state,
- the management of radioactive waste and sources of ionising radiation seized in accordance with the Criminal Code,
- the provision of financial contributions to municipalities,
- the provision of subsidies for the disposal of old radiation burdens,
- the approval of the use of financing from decommissioning reserves,
- the verification of licences concerning financial reserves.
SÚRAO’s most important responsibilities include the operation of low- and intermediate-level radioactive waste repositories. SÚRAO manages all the Czech Republic’s radioactive waste repositories:
- the Richard institutional waste repository near Litoměřice;
- the Dukovany repository for the storage of radioactive waste from the Dukovany and Temelín nuclear power plants;
- the Bratrství repository for the storage of waste containing only natural radionuclides.
SÚRAO is also coordinating the considerable work necessary regarding the development and construction of a deep geological repository for high-level radioactive waste and spent nuclear fuel, the start of operation of which is planned for 2065.
Further conditions and obligations applying to SÚRAO fall from other provisions of the Atomic Act and other legislation, for example the Labour Code, budgetary regulations, building legislation and that on public procurement, the Mining Act etc., as well as SÚRAO’s Statute.